1.18.2008

Bittersweet Goodbye

So my little brother is offcially a missionary now! This last week we went up to Idaho to say goodbye to Matt. I know he's where he's supposed to be but that didn't make it any easier to say goodbye! We all sobbed like babies. Usually you say goodbye at the MTC, they have a companion and you know they're taken care of... well we just had to put him on a plane all by himself to fly halfway across the world to Africa. He reports to the MTC there and doesn't get a companion until then. I was sick with worry as he went up to board the plane, he's only been on a plane twice but never by himself. He was so excited and acted like it was no big deal. He left Tuesday afternoon and got to Johannesburg on Thursday night. He was able to email us and said he got there ok, that there are only 11 elders and 2 siters at the MTC there, crazy. Just like we feared his luggage didn't make it. He said hopefully it would get there in a day or two. He will be at the MTC for 4 weeks and then he will be headed to Kenya. I know it will be long two years but we are so proud of him!




5 comments:

The Jensen's said...

I can't believe how tall your brother is. I think he had to have been 8 the last time I really saw him. Isn't it crazy how fast time flies! And your family picutres are adorable, loved them. All the ladies in your family are beautiful.

Natalie said...

I can't believe he's already a missionary! He is going to be so good! I'm glad he's foreign because none of the American girls could keep their hands off him! He is so handsome!!!

Nick and Brent said...

Hey Natalie---thanks for the post, it was good to hear from you. Your little guy is adorable!!!

Here's my advice about helmets: I would get a consultation. After the consultation, they will tell you if they recommend him for a band or not, and then you can choose to proceed. The place we go to, Cranial Technologies here in Phoenix, does consultations for free. I was so glad we did, because I didn't realize how flat Payton's spot was. I think you guys are living in Utah, and the closest CT is in Vegas or here in Phoenix. They put babies in helmets up to 18 months of age, but of course, the sooner the better. I wish we had gotten Payton one sooner, but I had never heard of them before. Payton got his when he was about 8 months old.

I will warn you that they're expensive and insurance doesn't cover it, because they consider it "cosmetic" and "unnecessary". Also, there are two different helmets, aka bands, out there. There's the DOC band and the STAR band, made by two different companies. Our pediatrician won't refer patients for star bands, because he says they don't work as well as the DOC band. Payton is in the DOC band, which is more expensive. But I know some babies have been in the STAR band and it has helped them.

Anyway, good luck! I'm so happy we did the band for Payton, I think I would have regretted it if I didn't. There are tons of websites out there, just look under brachycephaly and plagiocephaly. Cranial Technologies also has a website called www.cranialtech.com. Sorry this is really long! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Dalton Family said...

How fun that your brother is going to Africa!
Thank you SO much for coming to our friend/family day...it was fun seeing you guys...but thanks especially for those gift cards!! You guys did WAY WAY WAY too much--you are so sweet! Carson's birthday is just around the corner now!!!

the Virgins said...

I can't believe our little Matty is on a mission! It seems like just yesterday he was saying..."oh its a tewtle I got a tewtle" haha Sad!We will miss him!